Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Merit Badge Counselor Opportunity

Parents,

At last month´s Parent Committee meeting, I announced that I am pursuing bringing Boy and Girl Scouts together for training purposes. This is one of a few efforts I am putting together to see Boy and Girl Scouts connect.

I also sent an e-mail to the Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmasters to explain my presentation to the Parent Committee. If any parent would like a further explanation of my goals and proposed actions, I will provide that information. Just send me a note.

For clarification purposes, I do not propose or support the merging of the two scouting groups. Nor do I support individual girls becoming "boy" scouts or matriculating in a Boy Scout troop. I do support cross-training and inter-group scouting events, however.

Anyways, on to the purpose of this e-mail.

As part of my effort to bring both groups of Scouts together, I will be inviting Rocklin Girl Scouts to a troop merit badge class I will teach this fall. I will meet with the Rocklin Girl Scout leaders next week to further discuss my ideas and give the invitation to their Scouts.

Would any other merit badge counselor like to include Girl Scouts in an upcoming class(es)? If yes, please let me know what merit badge class and approximately when you plan to teach the class. And I will convey that opportunity to the Girl Scout leadership.

Finally, as far as my obligation to inform you (the troop parents) and the Boy Scout organization of my goal, I have cleared what I am doing with the CEO of the Golden Empire Council, Chuck Brasfeild. 

Tony Scott